Translate

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Sad Song Teddy Bear By Red Sovine

Lyrics:

I was on the outskirts of a little southern town
Trying to reach my destination before the sun went down
The old CB was blarin' away on Channel 1-9
When there came a little boy's voice on the radio line

And he said, "Breaker 1-9, is anyone there?
Come on back truckers and talk to Teddy Bear"
I keyed the mike and I said, "You got it, Teddy Bear"
And the little boy's voice came back on the air

"Appreciate the breaker who we got on that end"
I told him my handle and then he began
"Though I'm not supposed to bother you fellows out there
Mom says you're busy and for me to stay off the air"

But you see, I get lonely and it helps to talk
'Cause that's about all I can do, I'm crippled and I can't walk
I came back and told him to fire up that mike
And I'd talk to him as long as he'd liked

"This was my dad's radio", the little boy said
But I guess it's mine and mom's now 'cause my daddy's dead
Dad had a wreck about a month ago
He was tryin' to get home in a blinding snow

Mom has to work now to make ends meet
And I'm not much help with my two crippled feet
She says not to worry that we'll make it alright
But I hear her cryin' sometimes late at night

You know there's one thing I want more than anything else to see
Oh, I know you guys are too busy to bother with me
But you see, my dad used to take me for rides when he was home
But I guess that's all over now since my daddy's gone

Not one breaker came on the old CB
As that little crippled boy talked with me
I tried hard to swallow a lump just wouldn't stay down
As I thought about my boy back in Greenville town

Dad was gonna take mom and me with him later on this year
Why I remember him sayin' someday
This old truck will be yours, Teddy Bear
But I know now I'll never get a ride on 18-wheeler again

But this old base'll keep me in touch with all my trucker friends
Teddy Bear's gonna back on out now and leave you alone
'Cause it's about time for mom to come home
But you give me shout when you're passin' through

And I'll surely be happy to come back to you
Well, I came back and I said before you go 10-10
What's your home 20, little CB friend
He gave me his address and I didn't once hesitate

'Cause this hot load of freight would just have to wait
I turned that truck around on a dime
And headed straight for Jackson Street 229
And as I rounded the corner, oh, I got one the heck of a shock

18-wheeler were lined up for three city blocks
I guess every driver for miles around had caught Teddy Bear's call
And that little crippled boy was havin' a ball
For as fast as one driver would carry him in

Another would carry him to his truck and take off again
Well, you better believe I took my turn rifin' Teddy Bear
And then carried him back in and put him down in his chair
And buddy, if I never live to see happiness again

I want you to know I saw it that day in the face of that little man
We took up a collection for him before his mama got home
And each driver said goodbye and then they were all gone
He shook my hand with a mile long grin

And said, "So long trucker, I'll catch you again"
Ah, I hit that interstate with tears in my eyes
I turned on the radio and I got another surprise
Breaker 1-9 came the voice on the air

Just one word of thanks from mama, Teddy Bear
We wish each and everyone a special prayer for you
'Cause you just made my little boy's dream come true
I'll sign off now before I start to cry

May God ride with you 10-4 and goodbye

Click Here For Video.

Source: Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment